Welcome, bienvenidos to Cook and the Fly
In this blog you'll find Mexiterranean food pictures and recipes, fishing stories, random thoughts and snippets of my new life in Southern Baja.

3.28.2012

Making gnocchi is boring

Ok, I started with all my best intentions and I was ready to make 4 pounds of gnocchi...but motivation faded rather soon and I got stuck with a couple pounds of riced potatoes.
Don't believe the overpaid tv and overly famous chefs when they tell you that making gnocchi is "fun" and "entertaining" for the whole family...it's not, it's tedious and boring, and repetitive and monotonous and...where was I'
Yes, the potatoes...

I added a couple tins of tuna in water (well drained), a couple eggs, s&p and half a cup of A.P.flour.
Mixed it up nicely and started rolling it out on a floured table top... and that's when I thought to start taking pics..


So, roll'em up, 1 inch diameter,cut it with a plastic spatula in 4 inch bits, roll in flour, then egg, then in bread crumbs...I don't use panko because I feel retarded using Japanese bread when I have bags of dry bread in the pantry.

Once your soon to be croquettes are breaded, fry them in a blend of butter and vegetable oil, till nice and golden on all sides.
Frying in butter and corn oil...

...till nicely golden on all side  : )
Take them out, roll them on a lenght of kitchen paper and serve them.



I served mine with a Mexican salsa verde, the raw one that, I think, has a little more zest than the cooked version...but you can use whatever you want; thinking about it a good spicy tomato sauce or a Puttanesca sauce would be quite good too...

No comments:

Post a Comment