Welcome, bienvenidos to Cook and the Fly
In this blog you'll find Mexiterranean food pictures and recipes, fishing stories, random thoughts and snippets of my new life in Southern Baja.

3.21.2012

Calling all pork lovers with a foot fetish...

What did you think? Dirty minds you...
Just messing around with some pig trotters the other day and came up with this...purely experimental for now, but I think it's worth sharing!

Pig's trotter and fava beans terrine


I started by boiling dry fava beans till "al dente" .
While this was going on, I was slowly boiling a pig trotter in lightly salted water, covered, along with a good splash of cider vinegar and onion, some garlic cloves, a couple ribs of celery, couple carrots ,all roughly chopped.

After a couple hours, I drained the meat and the vegs and added the drained fava beans to the pig stock and cookes a little longer until done.

In the while I picked and chopped the meat, rind and cartilage.

Drained the favas, again, and added the bones of the trotters to the stock and let reduce by more than half, slowly and uncovered.

Time to get it all together:
In a skillet I warmed up equal parts of vinegar and stock, a couple cloves, a few berrie of allspice, a sliced jalapeño pepper, salt and sugar.

When all this started boiling I poured it over the meat and vegs, along with some fresh cilantro and thinly sliced red onion.


I let it pickle for a while, waiting for it to cool down.
Once cold, the fava beans and the reduce fatty, sticky stock went in too and I transferred everything to a mold


which I wrapped with film and set to chill overnight in the cooler.

The next day, yesterday, I just took it out, carefully scored the edges with a knife and inverted it onto a plate.  GOOD!



We'll have it today at lunch, sided by a fresh garden salad to fight back the guilt trip....

Try it and let me know....

No comments:

Post a Comment